Skip to main content

Information for property owners

As a property owner, you need to know about the rights and obligations that concern your property. Sometimes, it may be in your interest to consolidate two properties you own or to exchange properties with someone else.

You can change the name of your property (in Finnish)

Information about your property

You can check the information about your property in the NLS e-service. The service is available in Finnish and Swedish.

You can also order a report on information about your property from our customer service. The report carries a charge and contains, for example, information about the rights of way that apply to your property.

If you need information about building permits, contact your municipality.

It is possible for a property not to have a right of way. The width of the right of way, or its location, may also be unclear. In such cases, as the landowner you can apply for a private road survey. From our customer service, you can also order an investigation into the archives to find out matters related to a right of way by studying old cadastral survey documents and maps. Such an investigation is subject to a charge.

If a boundary marker has been lost or the location of the boundary is otherwise unclear, you need to apply for a boundary demarcation.

When you need to know your property's shares in jointly-owned areas, order an extract from the cadastre.

Selling a property

You can sell your property through the Property Transaction Service. In such cases, the sale does not have to be authenticated by a public purchase witness. You can also convey properties in other ways through the Property Transaction Service.

When you are selling your property or an unseparated parcel, that is a part of the property, you need to let the buyer check the following documents: certificate of title, certificate of mortgages and encumbrances and if necessary, an extract from the cadastre.

The certificate of title shows ownership information. If you have not applied for the registration of title, you need to give the buyer the contracts, through which you acquired the property. The certificate of mortgages and encumbrances contains information about any mortgages on the property as well as registered leases and other special rights. The extract from the cadastre contains information about the area of the property and any shares in jointly-owned areas.

Property information is available from the National Land Survey. Read more about ordering extracts subject to a charge. You can also order extracts and certificates from the Property Transaction Service.

Information about someone else's property

You need information about someone else's property when:

  • You intend to buy a property.
  • You are investigating rights of passage.
  • You are constructing a building on your own property.

Get this information by ordering an extract or a certificate. You can also contact our customer service.

The Official purchase price register provides information about actual purchase prices. If you wish, you can compare the property you are buying with information in the register. Information about individual property purchases is available from our customer service.

Property Transaction Service

You can convey your own property, apply for mortgages or a transfer of electronic mortgage deeds.

Read more