A restriction on the right of possession means that the owner of an apartment cannot transfer the apartment or apply for the registration of a pledge without the consent of the holder of the right of possession. Such a right of possession can be registered for an owner apartment when the rights holder sends an application and rarely also in ex-officio situations.
Restrictions on the right of possession include the right to use an apartment based on a will and a widow’s right of possession. Restricting the right of possession can already be applied for when the housing cooperative is in the Residential and Commercial Property Information System, even if the apartment does not have a digital endorsement.
You can contact your building manager or the NLS customer service to check whether your housing company’s list of shares has already been transferred to the Residential and Commercial Property Information System.
The restriction on the right of possession is entered in the Residential and Commercial Property Information System. After this, the restriction is shown in the printout of owner apartments.
A widow’s right of possession
A widow’s right of possession applies to situations where an apartment is inherited. If you are a widow and have indicated that you will maintain possession of an apartment that was your home with your spouse or another apartment suitable for a home, you can apply for the registration of the right of possession for this apartment.
Right of use based on a will
A right of use based on a will is based on a condition defined in a will. You can apply for the registration of the right of use for an apartment if another person obtained the ownership of the apartment through a will, but you were given the right to use the apartment in the same will.
See the average processing times of applications and surveying services on the Application processing times page.
This is how you can apply for the registration of a restriction on the right of possession:
- Check that the housing company’s list of shares has been transferred to the Residential and Commercial Property Information System.
- Attach the owner’s consent to the application or acquire the required attachments:
– deed of estate inventory and extract of family relations
- Complete an application (in Finnish) for registering the restriction on the right of possession.
- Send the application and its attachments by post or via e-mail, or bring them to a customer service location. Please note that ordinary, unencrypted e-mail is not secure. Send documents containing confidential information by secured e-mail or Securedmail.eu.
Our up-to-date pricelist can be found in Finnish and Swedish on our website. If you need more information, contact our customer service.