Apply for the registration of a leasehold or another special right

A special right is a more limited right than property ownership. Special rights usually belong to parties other than the property owner. It is based on, for example, an agreement or last will and testament.

The most common special right is the leasehold. Other special rights include rights-of-use (or usufruct), pension rights and agreements on joint administration of a property. See instructions for payment of transfer tax.

Apply for a special right

  1. Make sure you have the necessary appendices.
    a) When a leasehold is established, you must provide an original copy of the contract of lease. If the lessor is a municipality, you must also provide a legally valid municipal decision to lease.
    b) When the leasehold is to be transferred you must provide the original contract of transferral to a new leaseholder. If you are buying a leasehold, you must provide the receipt for payment of the purchase price, file and pay transfer tax.
    c) When another right is processed, you must provide the original contract regarding the use of the right.
  2. Fill in the application form for leasehold or for special right (in Finnish).
  3. Send the application by post or deliver it yourself to our customer service. Please note that ordinary, unencrypted e-mail is not secure. Send documents containing confidential information by secured e-mail or Physical documents will be returned to you when your case has been initiated.

Secure your rights

We recommend that you register your special right to secure it.

Registration of special rights is voluntary, with the exception of leaseholds. Holders of a lease or other rights-of-use must apply for the registration of their right, if:

  •  The right can be transferred to a third party without the consent of the landowner.
  •  There are constructions belonging to the leaseholder on the leased land.
  •  It is permitted to build constructions belonging to the leaseholder on the leased land.

Some rights cannot be registered as a special right

If the right has been granted to a person, it is registered as a special right. If the right has been granted to a property, it is an easement. Easements are granted in cadastral surveys (private road rights, rights-of-use [in Finnish])

The easements pertaining to a property are shown on the extract from the cadastre. A registered special right is shown on the certificate of mortgages and encumbrances.

Processing time

A special right is processed within 20–30 days.

Do you need help filling in an application?

Contact our customer service by phone at 029 530 1110.

Help the environment – request e-invoices

The e-invoice is an easy and safe way to receive invoices from the National Land Survey to your online bank.