Skip to main content

Register a leasehold or other special right

Registering a leasehold ensures the leaseholder's rights to the leasehold. A special right can be, for example, a leasehold, an agreement to divide the possession between joint owners, or another right to use a property owned by someone else.

As attachments to the application, you need either the original contract. You can send the documents by post or deliver them to one of the National Land Survey's customer service points. We will return them without delay.

If you have purchased a house on a rented plot, you need to apply for transfer of a leasehold.

How to apply for the registration of a leasehold or other special right

The best way to apply for registration depends on your situation:

  1. With some municipalities, it is possible to draft and sign a leasehold contract in the Property Transaction Service. Check with your lessor whether they are already using the National Land Survey's online services.
  2. You can apply for registration by yourself in the National Land Survey's e-service.

    - individual customers in Finnish and in in Swedish
    - organisational customers in Finnish and in in Swedish

    Select ‘Kaikki kiinteistöt’ (All properties) and use the property identifier to search for the property whose area the leasehold concerns. Click ‘Rekisteröi vuokraoikeus’ (Register leasehold) and fill in the application.

    Those persons who have been registered in the Trade Register as authorised to sign on behalf of the organisation can log in to the service.

    Registration of leasehold or other special right is paid in the NLS e-service when you submit the application.

  3. Your agent (such as your bank) can apply on your behalf.
  4. If you are unable to use our online services, you can also use our online pdf form in Finnish or in Swedish at

Registration of special rights is voluntary, except for leaseholds. Holders of a lease must apply for the registration of their right within six months, if

  • The leasehold can be transferred to a third party without the consent of the landowner.
  • There are constructions belonging to the leaseholder on the leased land.
  • It is permitted to build constructions belonging to the leaseholder on the leased land.

Changing or extending a right of lease

Applications for changing a right of lease or extending an existing right of lease cannot be submitted in the e-service. If you want to change or extend your existing right of lease, use the application form pdf available in Finnish or in Swedish at

Joint ownership agreement

A property can be owned as unseparated parcels, such as equally between two parties. Owners of a property owned as unseparated parcels can engage in a mutual agreement on the use and ownership of the property. Such an agreement is called a joint ownership agreement.

A joint ownership agreement may concern a property owned as unseparated parcels, such as an estate or plot, a parcel separated from it and lease or other right. Agreements may include highly detailed terms and conditions regarding jointly used areas, parking spaces, access routes, play areas, the management of areas and the division of costs.

An agreement should be made in writing

A joint ownership agreement does not have any fixed format. However, it should be made in writing and be dated and signed. The agreement must indicate the following:

  • Parties to the agreement, and the division of ownership between the parties.
  • Whether the agreement is valid for a fixed term or until further notice. If the validity has not been defined, the agreement is deemed to be valid until further notice.
  • Information on the property subject to the agreement (property identifier, municipality, the name or number of the village or district, the name and registration number of the estate, or the number of the block and plot).
  • Parcel identifier in the case of a parcel.
  • The date of the lease agreement and any facility identifier in the case of a leasehold.

The parcel and facility identifiers can be found from the title registration or encumbrance certificate, for example. In addition to a written description of the division of ownership, you can also attach a map, on which the division of ownership is marked and to which the agreement refers.

Registration strengthens the agreement

A joint ownership agreement should be registered as a special right to the property in the title and mortgage register because, if the ownership of the property changes, an unregistered joint ownership agreement will not be binding on the new owner if they were unaware of the agreement when receiving their ownership. The registration also makes the agreement more permanent in any forced liquidation, such as enforcement proceedings.

Special right or easement?

If the right has been granted to a person, it is registered as a special right. If the right has been granted to a property, it is an easement. Easements are granted in cadastral surveys (for example, private road rights, rights-of-use, in Finnish).

The easements pertaining to a property are shown on the extract from the cadastre. A registered special right is shown on the certificate of mortgages and encumbrances.

Processing time

See the average processing times of applications and surveying services on the Application processing times page.

Request for additional information

If necessary, the person who processes your application will ask you to provide additional information for the application. You can provide additional information via the National Land Survey e-service (in Finnish). Send the original documents to the National Land Survey by post. We will return them without delay.

Real property lease right and restrictions on the right of possession

Product Price € (excl. VAT) Price € (incl. VAT)
Registration of a special right (Code of Real Estate, s 14(2))
161,00 No VAT
Transfer of a special right (Code of Real Estate, s 14(2))
161,00 No VAT
Registration or transfer of other special right (pension right, logging right, other right)
161,00 No VAT
Alteration of a special right
112,00 No VAT
Clarification of the registration of a special right
112,00 No VAT
Termination of a special right
112,00 No VAT
Change of order of precedence
44,00 No VAT

Do you need help filling in an application?

Contact our customer service by phone at 029 530 1110.

Help the environment – request e-invoices

The e-invoice is an easy and safe way to receive invoices from the National Land Survey to your online bank.