In the National Land Survey's Research Policy, approved on 27 January 2022, the general focus areas and principles of the National Land Survey's research and its support functions are described for the next three-year period.
The focus points of development areas for research policy activities at the NLS for the period 2022–2024 are:
- Strengthening societal visibility and impact
- Ensuring funding for research
- Ensuring responsible research
- Utilising our research effectively in development activities at the NLS
- Promoting the career paths and international mobility of researchers
The National Land Survey's Research Policy provides the common goals of the NLS's research operations. The FGI research strategy is focused on the core operative strategies of research.