Statements and consulting assistance
The Finnish Geospatial Research Institute gives, upon request, statements and consulting assistance concerning its field of research and expertise. In addition, the institute performs research projects, gravity measurements and the calibration of geodetic instruments based on orders that are related to its field of research and expertise.
Read more about our departments:
- Geodesy and Geodynamics
- Geoinformatics and Cartography
- Navigation and Positioning
- Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry
The NLS FINPOS-positioning service is a nationwide service that improves the accuracy of satellite based positioning. The Service is based on the National Land Survey's permanent GNSS reference stations (among other things FinnRef network) that enable modelling and correcting observation errors affecting the satellite based GNSS observations. All services and data are free of charge.
E2 computation service
The E2-computation service relates to the JHS184 recommendation of the public administration: “Benchmark measurement in the EUREF-FIN coordinate system” (in Finnish). The recommendation gives instructions and requirements for classifying permanent GNSS reference stations in EUREF-FIN. The Geospatial Research Institute defines official EUREF-FIN coordinates for all E2-class reference stations in the E2 computation service.
Remote sensing services
- radiometric correction consultation
- geometric correction/Image matching consultation
- data processing/feature extracting consultation
- application development for custom-specified applications
- RS demos for future geospatial infrastructure
Coordinate transformation service
The coordinate transformation service makes it possible to move coordinates from one coordinate reference system to another. The service supports coordinate reference systems used nationally in Finland.
In addition, the service offers the possibility to download material concerning coordinate transformations, like geoid models. Downloading the material is free of charge, but you must first register for the service. Without being registered, you can only perform coordinate transformations.
National reference systems
- Coordinate systems
- Height systems
- Gravity systems
National standards laboratory of
- Acceleration of free fall
- Calibration of precise levelling rods and systems
- Nummela Standard Baseline for calibrating Electronic Distance Measurement (EDM) instruments
- Masala-Vihti calibration line for relative gravimeters
- Photogrammetric test field for evaluating the quality of aerial images
Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS)
- GPS, GLONASS, COMPASS, Galileo
- Nuclear power stations
- Postglacial rebound
National standards and recommendations
Standardisation is the basis for the interoperability of geospatial information systems. The use of international geodata standards in Finland is being guided by means of the national Public Administration Recommendations (JHS).