The Finnish Geospatial Research Institute (FGI) is a research and expert institute that carries out research and development for spatial data infrastructures.
- provide a scientific basis for Finnish maps, geospatial information and positioning
- carry out research and development on methods for the measurements, data acquisition, processing and exploiting of geospatial information
- co-operate with industry, universities and governmental organisations nationally and internationally.
Our core tasks are the following:
- To carry out scientific research in geodesy, positioning, navigation, cartography, geographic information sciences, photogrammetry and remote sensing;
- To ensure geodetic, photogrammetric and spatial data metrology;
- To do nationwide geodetic base measurements and connect them to international systems;
- To develop spatial data collection technologies and equipment in geodesy, positioning and remote sensing;
- To promote methods and equipment in the area of spatial data;
- To monitor developments in the research field and participate in international cooperation;
- To publish information on its findings and promote their application;
- To provide opinions in the area of expertise and to make necessary proposals.
Our departments are:
- Geodesy and Geodynamics
- Geoinformatics and Cartography
- Navigation and Positioning
- Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry
- SDI services
The research topics are currently organised in research groups.