GNSS Finland assembles in one place all our expertise related to satellite positioning. The Finnish Geospatial Research Institute (FGI) is the leading specialist organisation on GNSS in Finland.
A Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) offers an easy way to determine place, speed and time. Today, satellite positioning is used in many everyday functions. The development has been rapid during the past few years: old systems are being renewed and many new systems, such as the European Galileo, are about to be completed. The development of receivers has also been fast, from small chips to large base station receivers. Smart traffic and the Internet of Things have for their part advanced and accelerated the development.
Applications of satellite positioning include:
- Traffic and logistics on land, at sea and in the air
- Time and the synchronisation of time
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Land surveying and mapping
- Coordinate systems
- Spatial data
- Recreation (e.g. exercise, hiking, games, finding targets)
GNSS Finland assembles in one place the Finnish expertise on GNSS. The Finnish Geospatial Research Institute’s researchers have expertise in all areas of satellite positioning from signal processing and navigation to extremely precise coordinate determination.
Our goals are:
- Conducting scientific research in the different areas of satellite positioning
- Producing independent data on satellite positioning and its possibilities for the society and companies
- Supporting companies and the society and collaborating in questions related to satellite positioning
- Awareness of the coordinate systems of different positioning systems and those used in Finland
- Sharing information